Friday, February 8, 2008

Day 36 - The Spill

As I was doing my workout today one of the staff members came into the pool area, from the back door. Which is unusual because the facility entrance is out front. She was saying something to another staff member that sounded like "OK I turned it off and checked to make sure everything is out." What in the world did that mean? I dunno, so I kept doing my routine.

A while later I noticed that the pool seemed to be a little cooler than normal, not a big change. I put my foot down to the water inlet and there was water flow, but it was not being heated. I figured that the heater was just kicked off. I also assumed that I was imagining things about the water temperature changing.

As I was getting dressed there was small talk about pilot lights being shut off. At the front counter, where we exchange keys, I asked what was going on and I was told that the Fire Department had told them to shut off all Propane use, including pilot lights. There had been some kind of a spill or something. Now I was curious. I left the building but didn't see any Fire trucks, Response Units, or any other evidence of a problem.

I decided to drop off at the Shell Shack, which is across the street from Island Athletic. When I got up to the drive through window, I noticed a Fire truck in a field. I asked the teller if she knew what was happening and she told me that they were being closed down at 5 pm. There had been a Propane fuel spill, a 13,000 gallon tank was being transfered and it fell off the truck and tipped over. For safety reasons all businesses in the area were being closed and propane sources were being turned off. Mystery solved.

No comments: