Monday, December 17, 2007

Day Four - Tears

This morning the carpet cleaning man came by and made our traffic areas smell sweet and look brand new. I stayed in bed, groaned, and watched movie from my "50 Mystery Movies" dvd set that Bryce (my son) sent me. The flick helped keep my mind off of the screaming neurons.

Dad told me that he wanted to swim with me again today. Cool, at 2:30pm he drove again. When we got to Island Athletic the lot was jammed, we had to get creative with the parking. Inside the facility machines were whirring, bikes were clicking, weights were slamming, and eyes all peering at me (or at least I thought they were).

The dressing room was filled with people in varied stages of arriving or departing. I pushed a few shoes to the side and slumped on a bench. Dressing was less than fun. It's strange, when I was a life guard I never gave changing a thought. What did I care what others thought. Now I am excessively conscious, an interesting turn of perspective.


When I got to the pool, it was also enjoying increased attention from customers. Every lane had people and I was going to have to share. Gee, this should be easy, just keep to the right like always. Then SHE stopped (a swimmer in my lane) and suggested that we each take one side of the lane and go back and forth. I was worried about what happens when a third person arrives but I agreed. As I bobbed up and down, back and forth, SHE passed me 2 or 3 times for each single lap I did. What a humbling experience. I used to be the one lapping everyone else in the lane, now I am the slow poke, what a funny reverse of life. About half way through my swim day, SHE stopped, we exchanged a few words. Nice lady, but SHE was faster than me, boo hoo hoo.

I think back to my youth, words like "Don't worry young manm you will understand what it's like to be old, eventually. When that happens, you will remember our conversation." My face burns red as the truth becomes self evident.

When my hour was up I was ready to get out of the pool. I felt really tired. Which is interesting since today is Monday and I've just had a day off. My legs are shaking as I prepare to leave the water. The trek to the shower was actually scary, I was not sure if I was going to make the trip. I collapsed on the stool in the handicap shower.

When I got to the dressing area, I sat on the bench and quietly sobbed into my towel. I was so tired I didn't know how I was going to dress. If it was not so cold outside I would have gladly stuffed all my clothes in the roll away bag and walked in my birthday suit to the car. After five minutes I finally gained composure, I dressed sloppily and moved to the exit.

Dad was waiting by the key exchange counter. I purchased some grapefruit juice and an energy bar. We walked to the car without saying much and headed to the Shell Shack for a burger. I was unable to eat the energy bar, it had too many nuts and hard things, I am missing too many teeth to be able to chew that much (another story for later).

I am really excited to have finished 4 days of swimming. I have a firm goal to keep splashing. The water has always been a joy for me, it will be again.

10 comments:

David's Blog said...

Miles, I look forward to reading your blog each day, Your journey opens within me small victories of my own.

momster said...

Miles - To make this commitment is huge and wonderful. You will succeed! Keep going!

Love you,
Tracy

momster said...

Miles - To make this commitment is huge and wonderful. You will succeed! Keep going!

Love you,
Tracy

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I've never been as proud of you as I am right now in my entire life.
I'd like to remind you that mom is willing to pay in full for you to get your teeth fixed(as long as it's not something outrageous, like 40,000).
I love you and look forward to your future pages, I hope this will become a book one day.
-Bryce

Sorry about deleting my last message, but I needed to add some stuff.

Louise said...

You are definately an inspiration! As Ginny can verify I have alot of pounds that I need to shed too... I am inspired. Your determination make me feel as though I need to pick up my lazy but off the couch and get to the gym. Keep up the great work and I will sign in and continue to read, you are a great author. You write beautifully!

John and Pat Fawcett said...

Miles,

I've been your father's friend for a few years.

I'm amazed at your grit and determination. Your willingness to make your ordeal public is equally admirable.

You cannot give up, you know, there will be more and more people who you inspire that will be let down should you fail to keep it up.

Paying for the membership would keep me going. Don't wait until the month is up to pay for the next month. It would be too easy to put off coming back. But if you've already paid, then you better get your money's worth!

John Fawcett

KM in Utah said...

Hello Miles,

You do not know me, but I am a friend of David & Ginny's. I am so excited to learn of your Blog!!!

I am excited for yu and look forward to hearing of all the stuggles and VICTORIES!!!

I too have challenges. None to the painful extent as yours by any means, but challenging just the same. You see I am over 100 pounds overweight. I have 2 sons. The youngest is very thin and does not have any issues as of yet. My other son is almost 14 (maybe about your sons age). He is about 200 pounds overweight.

I have found that when things are so far out of control, it is very difficult to get back on track. That goes for pain, depression and joblessness to name a few.

I am so excited for you and this new venture. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it. Keep up the GREAT work!! You will be great in 2008!

Watch the movie "The Secret" if you can. It really is powerful! Also see about finding "Pay it Forward". These movies give courage and strength! If you can't find them, let me know.

Congratulations and Merry Christmas!!

Kenda Machorro
kmachorro@hotmail.com
Utah

Unknown said...

hi miles,
we have not met before, i know your folks and they both are wonderful people, that's why knowing that , the certainty of your progress is huge... your mind must be saying let's keep on keeping on, while your body's saying otherwise, looking at your picture in the pool with a nice smile on your face tells me you're winning, your success inspires us all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Miles,

I don't know you, or vice versa, or any of the others who have posted comments. And I see that I'm a bit late to the game here, but better late than never :)

Thanks for sharing all your stories. I am a young guy who has to deal with constant pain as a result of cancer. Having someone to relate to, on Whidbey Island especially, is very nice to say the least and I've enjoyed reading your blog posts. Keep up the great work!!!