Monday, February 11, 2008

Day 38 - Brrrrrr

When I got to the facility on Saturday, Feb 9th. The pool was open, so I got right to my workout. Oh, my the water was cold. It felt like low 70's. Sure enough, when Brook used her handy dandy combination whistle & thermometer it read 75 degrees. Usually pools are kept at 82 - 90 degrees. Hot tubs 10-20 degrees warmer. If there is a swim team they might drop the pool to 80 degrees, but that makes it a little cool for normal use.

I did my routine, but I felt chilly the entire time. Even after I got my blood pumping I felt cold. I thought about Dad and decided that he was lucky to have missed the pool because of work. He would have been shivering. Saturday, normally a high family use day, was relatively calm.

Today, Monday, well the water was still chilly. I figure it will probably take another 2 or 3 days for the water to get up to the normal temperature. Pool heaters are designed to maintain water temperature, they are not able to handle large changes of temp over short time periods. When a pool is filled up it can take any where from one week to one month for the heater to get the temp to normal ranges.

How did I do? Well, aside from normal cramps and stiffness from the cold water I did pretty good. In fact, today was a pretty good workout. I finished my routine and still had almost 10 minutes to go before my hour was up. I kept moving anyway. My goal is not just to finish the routine, but it's to do at LEAST one hour of exercise 5 - 6 times a week.

2 comments:

Eagle Maiden said...

Hope they warmed up the pool for you! I'm looking forward to your next visit posting.

xoxo
Deb

Anonymous said...

Miles- I think what you're doing is amazing.

May I ask you, what inspired you to start your blog and choose health in your life?