Friday, December 14, 2007

Day Two - Swimming

I survived the first day. Next morning, my eyes crack open and the brightness of day attacks my brain. AM I ever excited. I get to go swimming again! Then my body starts to stir. Creek, groan, grumble, ouch, my legs, arms, back, neck, head, and everything in between announces their desires - DON"T MOVE YOU SILLY PERSON.

Wow, am I sore. My pessimist mind suggests that today is not a good day for swimming. Millions of reasons flood my mind. Things like cardiac arrest, more pain than I can handle, inability to walk, stupidity of effort, etc. Then my positive mind interrupts - hey Miles, you made a promise. You said that you were going to swim one hour a day 5 - 6 time a week. That means you get a break on Sunday. Until then, you are mine Mister. Get up, empty your XXXXX, never mind. Get going for the day.

OK, OK, OK you win, I made the commitment, I'll keep it, until I either beat this porker body or I die trying. My pessimist mind intercedes with the thought, Hey, death might be nice right now. You will stop hurting. I don't want to think about that. I'll get up, do my morning stuff, and hit the pool around, what time? I dunno, gotta look at the schedule.


The morning proceeds fine, as long as I stay in the easy chair and try not to move. Finally the clock reaches the moment of truth. Before I can talk myself out of it, I get up (slowly) and stuff my roll away bag with my stuff. I head for the door and grumble, "I'm going swimming." I hear the echo's of "great job" and other words of encouragement from Dad & Ginny, which makes me blush and wish I had crawled out the back door instead. It was a relaxing drive to Island Athletic.






















I park the car and start walking to the entrance.

It is difficult to walk into the building for three reasons.

1. My pain is higher because of the silly hour I spent just 24 hours a go.
2. I don't like going in public because I feel like everyone is staring at me.
3. When I look inside the entrance PEOPLE ARE LOOKING AT ME.




Well, here comes the walrus, get out of my way or get ready to be bumped into. I'm tired, in pain and on a mission.

I grab the handle to the door and groan. It feels really heavy today. Is it in my mind or have they added a few hundred pounds to the hinges?



Now for the fun part. I get to exchange car keys for the locker key & some towels. For two years this type of interaction has been difficult for me. I'm not sure why, I have just found face to face people stuff uncomfortable. However, for the last week those fears seem to be minimized to a dull squeak in the back of my mind. I noticed this fear lessening about a week after I started taking those magic nutrition tablets that Dad & Ginny gave me.


I pass my keys, get the towels and lean on the counter. I now get to walk past all the skinny people as I head into the dressing room. What a joy, I can hardly wait for all those stares and silent "he should not eat so much" unspoken words. My positive mind interrupts and reminds me of what my Dad & Dick said (I'll introduce you to dick in a few weeks), "Miles, most of those people are probably amazed that you have the courage to be there and they admire you for taking the first step to health." I feel emotionally stronger and push off from the counter.




My legs are tired, I've got sit down soon. I briskly walk to the stall so I can change into my pup-tent.



The room is nearly empty. At least I get to change without the eyes on my back.



Get ready. I'm going to face my fears and show some photo's of me in my swim suit. This is nothing comfortable for me. So, if you ever see me IRL (In Real Life) please pretend that you never read my blog. Thanks, it will enable me to keep writing.


OK, Enough of these scary photo's.




I'll now go hide in the water.






So look as long as you want. I'm getting out of this room.









When I get to the swimming pool, I am surprised to find it empty. Oops, one person doing laps. GREAT, I have the pool all to my self. I make my way to the stairs and descend into the pool. I don't want to repeat the first day loss of footing experience.

Again I plan on doing laps, but the lap lanes are missing. The pool is one big open playground, just for me. I have a great day, bobbing up and down, going back and forth, splashing, kicking, blowing bubbles, making a party out of my gravity free time in the water.

I spent one hour and ten minutes in the water and then had to face gravity again. It is astonishing how heavy I feel as I slowly emerge from the water.

The end of my swim day had no surprises. It was difficult getting back to the car, I felt more tired today. By the time I got home, I was feeling the effects of the swim. I barely made it to the easy chair. I looked forward to going to bed at the end of the day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to show people that they can leave comments. -M

David's Blog said...

Miles, I admire your commitment to this very personal blog. It will be of great interest to me to follow your progress!!