Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Day 14.333333 - Almost Made It

I did it! I packed up my roll away bag, grabbed the keys, and walked out the door. Sick or not, I have to do my work out. When I got in the man-made puddle, the cool waters seemed to speak to me. "What are you doing here, it's cold, wet, and noisy. " I got into one of my favorite lanes and started my routine. After 10 minutes my tummy started groaning. By the time 20 minutes has elapsed I felt like I was headed to the hospital. I had to stop my intentions and renegotiate the terms of my plan.

I languished in the water for quite a while thinking about my options. I could keep puyshing my body and end up passing out or tossing up that pizza that I ate 30 years ago (see my blog earlier today). Or I could even end up needing help and I could suffer the ultimate humiliation as a dozen people try to lift 350 pounds of slippery, squishy, dripping, embarrassment. I felt like I was watching a horror movie.

Finally I calmed down and decided that I would get dressed and head home. As I left the water I kept my mind focused on the next step in front of me. Each step led to another. I showered, walked to the dressing room, and sat on the bench. After a few minutes rest I got my clothes and towels out of the locker. Another few minutes rest. Then I did my best to dry myself off. Due to habit, I shuffled to the mirrored counter and used the hair dryer, that lasted about 15 seconds. Still wet, I sat back down and dressed anyway. I grabbed my stuff and headed for the car.

Somehow I made it home. It';s been a few hours and I feel a little better now. It sure was a challenging day. We all have them. Instead of worrying about what was I will think about what will, meaning I look forward to tomorrow - it will be my 15th workout. I figure today counts even though it only lasted 20 minutes. I did what my body allowed. That should be enough - I'm satisfied.

1 comment:

Eagle Maiden said...

So...you inspired me. I am on day three at the gym. I haven't been there since last spring. Hope you feel better.