Monday, January 14, 2008

Day 15 - I made it!

When Monday morning peeked into my brain fear and anxiety came with it. I've been sick for a week, now it's time to get back to working out. All morning long thoughts drained my resolve. By the time 2:30pm arrived I was ready to hide under the covers and forget the day. Then that little voice in the back of my head whispered, "Do you really want to give up now? You have already gone through the worst part, this will be easy."

That moment I grabbed my phone, called Dad and asked if he was planning on working out today. He resounded to the positive. "I'll be out in a few minutes," I grumbled. I packed up my roll away bag, walked into the living room and got a first look outside. Wind, rain, mud puddles, goey, sticky, rotten day. I thought "I have got to be insane to go outside today." Then I started to chuckle, as I thought about the people that run for their health. They will be faced with a horrid choice, getting wet or giving up. I will get wet, and love every moment of it. My step quickened and my mood lifted.




Arriving at Island Athletic my mood shifted. I started to get nervous. The lot was jammed. In fact I do not recall ever seeing so many cars. Visions of people staring and laughing at me flooded over me. My fear grew and my legs refused to take the first step. Then my weight started to shift forward and I was forced to walk or fall flat on my face. The process continued until I reached the entrance. I guess being fat has it's benefits after all.





When I opened the front door all I saw were smiling faces. 2 or 3 people said, "Hello Miles." "good to see you," "I heard you were sick - feeling better?" What a wonderful change of perception for me. Instead of frowns and stares I received smiles and kind words. Thanks!

I was surprised at my workout. I expected to be in trouble because of the week of inactivity. I did not have any unusual challenges at all. I went through the routine like a clock ticking to oblivion. To my surprise the hour ended really fast. Getting dressed was strange. For some reason I could not get my clothes on like I expected. My arms were much weaker than normal and my hands had a hard time grasping. When I got home I started to feel the effects of the work out. I was sore and tired. Not as simple as I had thought. I did it though! I am relieved & excited. Now all I have to do is get to the facility on Tuesday. I'll worry about that later.

No comments: