Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day 27 - I'm Still Here

I made it! I finally got back to this keyboard and I am actually making a Blog entry. Sorry for being so long between entries. As this Blog title indicates, I have been working out but not Blogging.

  • Friday, Day 25 - Arrgh, pain, Grumpy, grrrr, leave me alone!
  • Saturday, Day 25.1 - Nope I had a really bad day. Looked up at the clock, it was so late I just exhaled and told Dad I was not going to make it.
  • Sunday, Day 25.2 - My day off, it's is my Sabbath and I always get this freebie. I am really glad it's here too. I know that I had a break yesterday, but I think I will benefit from this reprieve. I'm not giving up, just enjoying the time off.
  • Monday, Day 26 - Gaining balance. I realized a few days ago that I had been doing things in my workout to make my tummy stronger but I didn't really have anything specific for the opposing muscles in my back. I have been having increased pain in my lower back, legs, etc. I have also noticed that I have been tending to walk a little hunched over. Standing up straight takes more effort than normal. So, on Wednesday or Thursday, I added a movement to make my lower back stronger. It is really strange. I am on my face, prone position, legs first, arms pushing away, legs lifted, back slightly arched. It is really hard to do, especially in the water. It's kind of like laying on your tummy lifting your head and legs at the same time. The benefit of the water is gravity is not as much of a problem. Breathing, on the other hand, or the lack thereof, is interesting. The other challenge is I am still trying to cross the pool while doing this movement. I must use my hands to handle propulsion, navigation, and balance maintenance. It is a challenge, but I can feel the muscles working so they are being targeted perfectly. If I were to do this on dry ground I don't think I could handle it without substantial discomfort. I'm just too fat to be rolling around on my belly doing stretches and lifts.
  • Tuesday, Day 27 - I'm Still Here. Oh yeah, that is today's Blog. So I'll continue from here.
I think I have crossed through the Red Zone and come out the other side alive and well. Last week was...Umm..How do I put this into words without being rude, ROTTEN. It was a difficult week for me and any one that happened to cross my path. I did my best to be nice to people but my pain did the talking so much of the time I had to play my duck and avoid technique. When that failed I have to say "I'm sorry" as much as possible. If I missed anyone, let me speak up again:

Please forgive me for being rude to you and hurting your feelings. What I said or did had nothing to do with you and I am sorry that you were caught between me and my grumpiness.

Sure this apology will only reach those who read my Blog. I'll have to keep my eye out for people that are avoiding me, I'll tell them I am sorry too.

Am I through the Red Zone? How can I be sure, all I know is that in the past when I reached the 30-60 day workout point I have always had to give up because my pain was too difficult to handle. Right now I am feeling stable and like life still has something possible for me. I am still encouraged and feel like I can face going to the facility again for another workout. I will take things one moment at a time, for a long time, but at least I have the belief that there will be a future of exercise and returning health for me.

I do have something of a discovery. I have talked about the problem with swimmers and weight loss. There have been studies that note a difference between swimmers and other athletes. When most athletes finish their workouts they have a reduction of appetite for at least a few hours. Swimmers, on the other hand, tend to note an increase in appetite. Many state that they feel like they could eat a horse.

I have noticed that my appetite has increased after swimming. Many times I have struggled to keep from eating more than normal. At times the hunger gets so strong it can only be silenced by calories. I no longer seem to struggle with that problem! At least as it relates to increased eating because of working out in the water.

When I was doing my research I found articles that mentioned a few people thought the swimmer hunger issue could be because the water causes swimmer core temperatures to drop. The body compensates by requiring additional calories so it can raise the core temperature to normal. With this assumption in mind I have been going into the Sauna after my swim. I have found the pattern that works.

I get my towels from my locker. Yes, I need 2 towels, I am too fat for one to do any good. I take my shower. When I am clean and ready to get dressed I head into the sauna. I dry myself off, and sit in that heated room, 180 degrees Fahrenheit. I wait until my skin drys off completely, and small beads of sweat start to form. Another test is I put my dripping wet feet on the wall. The foot print eventually evaporates. When the foot print is gone, I can get out.

I do NOT take a cooling shower. I am not really hot, just comfortably warm. I dry any missed areas and get dressed. I am hungry when I leave the pool, but that is normal. I have always been hungry after a work out, any workout. However, I do not have that overwhelming hunger that makes me want to eat raw meat and double portions all day long.

Has this made a difference. I think so. In fact, my weight has dropped enough that I can actually see it register on the scale at Whidbey Athletic. This is a first for me. I am just barely above 161kg. That is 354.2 pounds in USA talk. I know that every scale is different and my weight is so high that I will have to use the same scale as a point of reference. I now have a scale that does not require a trip to the airport. Wahoo.

1 comment:

Eagle Maiden said...

That is really really interesting about core temperature. By the way, I am back in the gym. My chiropractor is a miracle worker! You continue to inspire me.